Q: What are the most common causes of fire damage in my home?

A: The most common causes are generally electrical issues, cigarettes that haven’t been properly extinguished, lit candles that fall, and grease fires started in kitchens.

 

Q: Can I turn on the air conditioner?

A: You should not turn on the air conditioner, as it could further blast the ashes throughout the house. It’s always best to let a professional handle this.

 

Q: What are grease fires and how can I fight grease fires?

A: Grease fires occur when oil or greasy foods are heated and ignite. The simplest way to fight a grease fire is to carefully slide a lid over the pan. Do not fight grease fires with water because water causes the grease to splatter and the fire to spread.

 

Q: How can I test my smoke detector and how often should I do it?

A: Smoke detectors should be tested once a month. The simplest test is to press the test button on your detector and check that it beeps loudly. It is also important to test the batteries and replace them every 6 months.

 

Q: How can I estimate the extent of the damage?

A: Start with a closer inspection of the property to assess the damage to the exterior. Only if determined safe, walk around the building and lot to observe and gather information. Now enter the structure. Taking extreme precautions, start from the top and document the damage.

 

Q: What can I do to reduce the chances of fire damage in my bedroom?

A: Pay attention to electric blankets. Don’t go to sleep with an electric blanket unless it has thermostatic controls or a overheat protector. You should also install smoke detectors in your bedroom and avoid smoking in bed.

 

Q: How do I choose the right fire damage restoration company?

A: You should make sure that the fire damage restoration company is a member of the The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). You can also check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to make sure that there weren’t any serious complaints against the company.

 

Q: Should I attempt to clean up the damage?

A: You should always contact a professional fire damage restoration company if you’ve experienced any type of fire inside your home.







CATEGORIES

all rights reseved